EASY crockpot applesauce

What is up? Happy Friday to ya! So fall officially starts Sunday! It’s been “official” for me since the temps hit the 70’s around here, but whatev. Details.

Last weekend we went apple picking, it’s a long-standing tradition for us. Most of the apple varieties weren’t ready (I thought it was pretty early to go picking!), but that just means we’ll have to go back. Darn. We just picked mostly Jonathan’s that day and ended up with 15 pounds of apples. I always go a little overboard. :)

This year I wanted to try something I’ve always wanted to make. Of course I thought it would be a long laborious process involving smashing 25 apples by hand or something like that, but I was OH so wrong.

When I mentioned that I was going to make applesauce earlier this week, my friend Cristina mentioned she was making some. I asked for her recipe and she was all, oh I just throw the apples in a pot with some cinnamon and it’s totally easy and MIND BLOWN.

I had no idea! So I did a little research and found she was totally right. (Not that I didn’t believe her of course.) Here’s the recipe I used and of course I used my crockpot – I threw it all in and came home to applesauce. You can’t beat that.

You only need three ingredients – ten to 12 apples (I grabbed 12 because some of mine were small, but ended up using 11), sugar and cinnamon:

crockpot applesauce

The first step is the only one that takes time – you need to peel, core and cut up the apples. Thankfully I’ve had an apple peeler/corer/slicer for years:

apple peeler slicer corer

I honestly think I’ve had this for about 12 years and I rarely use it. (It’s called Peelota. Har.) But it’s one of those things you don’t get rid of because when you need it, you really need it. This is one of those times.

This doodad ROCKS:

apple slicer corer

It made quick work of getting them all ready to go. They looked like this when I was done:

easy crockpot applesauce

I just cut the apples in half from the top. If you don’t have one of these you’ll want to slice them up or just cut them into chunks.

I dumped them all in the crockpot and then added 1/2 cup of sugar and didn’t even measure the cinnamon, I just sprinkled (a lot):

simple crockpot applesauce

I added a dash of nutmeg too – because I’m wild and crazy like that.

I didn’t even stir – just left it as it was, put the lid on and set it to cook on high for four hours. We left the house for the evening, came home and could smell it…wow!

I stirred it up a bit and was freaking (in a good way), because it looked SO GOOD:

easy applesauce recipe

Here’s the thing – I’ve never heated up applesauce at home. Have you? Uhh…it’s amazing!

It was incredibly yummy. Like a dessert really – I like it chunky (name that movie) so I left it as is. Hubby and I both stood over our bowls in the kitchen and stuffed our faces with it. And then did it again later, and I’m doing it again right. now.

SO GOOD, so stupid easy:

Simple crockpot applesauce @ thriftydecorchick.com

And not too horrible for you either!

This batch is almost gone already but I’ll be making more for sure and want to can it when I do. What a lovely little gift for the holidays, right?

Next time I’m going to try it with just a 1/4 cup of sugar though – I really don’t think it needs half a cup. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Here’s the recipe for you again:

10-12 apples -- peeled, sliced, cored
1/2 cup sugar (less would be fine)
sprinkle cinnamon on top – at least a teaspoon
dash of nutmeg (not needed)

There you go – have I blown your mind? Or all you all, duh Sarah…it’s totally easy. I really had no idea. Now go get some apples and cook it up! You will thank me. :) Have a GREAT weekend!